Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Graduating In Style

Stomach flu style! Un-fucking-believable. The one day I actually needed to look good and I get a colour draining stomach bug. Three years of wandering around like a complete hobo and the one time I'm about to make A LOT of effort I can't even be arsed to straighten my hair or put eyeshadow on because I can't stand up!

The night before graduation I met up with Anneka to go out for a celebratory meal. I didn't feel a hundred percent great on the way there but thought I'd get over it. Once inside the restaurantI became uber sensitive to every smell and decided to eat light. By the time the menu arrived I couldn't even bear reading it although I do remember seeing the phrase saddle of rabbit (ugh).

Then the waitress brought a bowl of olives and plonked them down right next to me, that was it, I pelted it to the bathroom and threw up like I've never thrown up before. Sorry for the details but I want to convey the trauma. I usually never ever get stomach bugs and I absolutely hate being sick - I have the constitution of an ox. My family even makes me taste out of date food to see if it's still remotely edible.

Anyway, after projectile vomiting I thought everyone might do the decent thing and let me return to the B&B but they'd ordered whilst I was in the bathroom. I got told to wait in the lounge, read a paper and sip my mineral water. I was pissed but I thought I could manage for at least half an hour. Oh no.

Ten minutes later I was back in the bathroom and I was pretty sure everyone in the lounge could hear me heaving. When I came out I felt like making some announcement to them all about it not being the restaurant food at fault. I didn't, instead I staggered into the main section to tell everyone I was getting a taxi home because I was making a scene. Maybe the other diners liked the entertainment but I did not. Mum followed me out with her car keys in hand but before we made it to the carpark I was sick again near a flowerpot. Sorry about that, restaraunt folks. I was then sick again in some bushes near the car as a mini bus full of people pulled in. Nice. Mum finally sat me in the car, wrapped me in a blanket and then said the mains were coming so just wait here and if I needed to be sick again there were some perfectly good shrubs around. Fine I thought, it's prehaps a little inconsiderate but I guessed they've ordered now so they might as well eat it.

Sometime later, (I was now in the delirious stage and had started a conversation with a nearby sparrow), Anneka arrived. She said everyone else was just finishing up, except by finishing up she meant ORDERING FUCKING DESSERT! Hello? I've just heaved up half my body weight around the restaurant grounds and you people are sat waiting for your sorbet?

We eventually left the frickin restaurant of doom and on the way home I started to sing songs from Dumbo.

In the morning I felt like I'd been mugged by hoodlums with a crowbar. My whole body ached. The actual graduation was pretty uneventful although I'm mighty please with myself that I managed to sit through it all. Maybe something did happen and I didn't even notice because I was kinda swaying between full conciousness and delrium. I got up for my name though which was another achievement.

Here is a picture of me coming off the stage. It's the only decent one from the digital camera because you may notice the rather large gentlemen in front of me, well, he blocked me out of all the other shots. Thanks. Sorry, it's dark too. You weren't allowed to use flash. Complete token pic.

Anyway, this post is dedicated to my Anneka. As she sat in the car with me as other people ate dessert she said how this would be funny when posted up at Gin Harpy. She was right. And congratulations to us for getting our damn degrees, even though we still don't actually have them. We worked h...well, we worked for it and more importantly we drank for it.

16 comments:

cina said...

What an absolutely horrible experience you had at the restaurant!! The stomach flue and throwing up is my biggest fear of all - especially in public! I get sick just by reading about your ordeal. I'm impressed you made it to your graduation girl, you must have been a total wreck.

May I ask - has anyone you were with at the restaurant taken ill yet...?

Becky Heineke said...

I gotta go with Cina on you making me nauseated just by reading this. I've never thrown up in public, so I can't even offer a crazy only-slightly-related personal anecdote here (lucky you!). Aw, Anneka's such a good friend! And hooray for walking across the stage, a symbolic and useless gesture but still kinda fun just the same!

I thought of two personal anecdotes in the amount of time it took me to write that last part, but since you're sick, I'm going to be extra kind and not share them. :D

DKBB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DKBB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DKBB said...

Good lord, NEVER let your fingers slip while you're typing a comment! Those 2 deleted posts are mine, by the way.

CONGRATULATIONS on your graduation, britpop!

Sorry you got sick, brits. My "sick in public" story trumps yours, tho. I got projectile diarrhea on the way home from a Christmas party, and literally had to hang my arse out the passenger door on the side of the road. Talk about crappy. ;)

Stay well, and have a great vacation!

britpopbaby said...

^Oh god! Okay you won. That is a lot worse. Did you eat something bad?

Anonymous said...

I am still healthy although I was panicking my socks off the night before that I would also be chucking up my v. expensive dinner all over the Vice Chancellor. Of course, I was too much of a good friend to express my fears when britpop was a-vomming.

Glad you're feeling better mate. Musta been ill if you couldn't drink tea.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I can't see you in the picture. Did Phillip eat you?

matt of comooxdom said...

Projectile diarrhea. Nice. I'm just having my lunch. I think I'll finish my sandwich later.

Congrats Brits on a reaching a monumental point in your life - the end of education and the start of your 'real' education. Start practicing the bags under eyes, frown and stoop that you will have to make every morning. The stumbling into the shower. The IV caffeine drip. Oh what fun.

DKBB said...

^Oh god! Okay you won. That is a lot worse. Did you eat something bad?

Yes I did...NEVER eat the cocktail shrimp at the party. ;)

Nothing Really Matters said...

You poor things Brits! Anneka is a good friend.

Congratukations on your graduation.

cina said...

dkbb - dare I say you have the record here?

Now as horrible as that must have been for you, you still managed to make me lmao reading your little post. OMG! But still - how absolutely horrible! Why, oh why must the human body have those functions??

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on graduating, despite the sickness. You should be proud of yourself for having a goal and achieving it. That's about the best it gets though. The rest of life is stumbling from one job to the next, one bar to the next, one room to the next, drunk and disoriented looking for some one to share the misery for one brief moment. Just one moment where the rain can fall on two instead of one. So that there is some solace in knowing you're not alone; even though really- you are. And every now and then when the pain stops and you feel happy again and you wonder what's wrong. Wait. That's just me. I need my meds.
CONGRATS Sugar! Make us proud...
XOXO

Anonyme. said...

Yes! You drank for it!! and THAT, my dear, is to be celebrated.

annie said...

OMG, how AWFUL! What a day to get sick.
I haven't barfed in YEARS, either.
Makes for a good blog story, though, huh?
Isn't it silly, we find ourselves going through our day and something happens and we think, "Oh! I can Blog this!"

britpopbaby said...

^I know! I just thought this will be funny when I type it. Only then will I get me closure from the vom.