Wednesday, July 05, 2006

britpopbaby Almost Gets Fleeced Big Time

Sometimes, I'll be sat in a situation and will not take in anything that is going on around me because I'll just be thinking, 'How that fuck did I get myself into this?'. It happened when I got mowed down by a car, it happened when I got lost for two days in Spain and it happened again today.

In my bid to become the most brilliant website designer in the world (no laughing at the back), I looked into what courses were available in my area. Google (mis)lead me in the direction of a site called www.computercollege.com. All I did was click a box that said I was interested in information on website design and left my email. I expected a brochure, prehaps an email at most but what do I get? A phone call at 8.00am telling me a man will come round to my house to chat with me about the courses available. Now I was tried and also in a rush and the bitch on the other end of the phone seemed very determined that it was imperative of me to have a good talking to in my own house. I said, 'Fine' because I needed to get to the dentists and she said, 'Great, someone will be around to talk you at 4pm this afternoon,'. 'Er, whatever...'

THE dodgiest man showed up on my doorstep - my mother had a fit. He looked like a car salesman only more seedy. He stank of fags and had tattoos all over his forearms. I invited him in and he just stood there in the kitchen, looking around like he was scanning the place for valuables. My Mum was choking in the background (she hates most people, especially when they try to sell you things). Anyway, what unravelled was a 45 minute endurance test of my mother having to bite her tounge and me trying not to laugh.

The point where I almost lost it was when he pulled out a pyramid chart and asked me to 'place' myself on it. I went for the second highest one because I do have some qualifications in IT. He looked at me and just went, 'No. You're unqualified'. I said, 'No, I have qualifications - I can do quite a lot on computers'. He just ignored me and went onto to say, 'If you weren't to get a qualification with us, where would you see yourself on the skills pyramid in say, five years time?'. I pointed at the same one I did the first time. He huffed and said, 'Would you go up or down the pyramid?'. To piss him off I said 'Up' and then started twiddling with my hair. I'd like to point out the four levels of this pyramid so you can see I was right and he was a liar - Level 1 - unqualified, no experience. Level 2 - hobby, basic word processing skills. Level 3 - owns a qualification, competent computer user. Level 4 (the peak) - qualification from the Computer College, expert in computers.

When he finally brought up the actual price of the course my Mum swiftly booted him out the door. He was in the middle of telling us about his diving holiday too!

So, there it is.

P.S - Matt, I'm holding you partly responsible for this. 45 minutes of my life - gone!

8 comments:

matt of comooxdom said...

You need have a book of excuses by your phone. They will always come in handy.

How can it be my fault! Was it me that invited strange man into your house. I don't think so. I hope you had some pepper spray behind a cushion.

Matt.

Nothing Really Matters said...

LOL How do these things happen to you! I would have been pissing my self as well.

Thats so funny you let him in for 45 mins!

Agnes said...

God thats horrible... 45 minutes. You should get some kind of price or something to manage that :)

Anonymous said...

Did you explain to him about your talents at Jake Watch? And about how you avoided that Google Euro lottery scam? How can the local computer college be at the top of the pyramid - what happened to degrees and PHDs? Bet Bill Gates hasn't got a qualification from the computer college.

When I read this, sometimes I think it's just too unbelievable. And then I remember all the mishaps you got involved in that I was witness too and I realise it's just your wacky way of living your colourful Northern life.

I think you need to buy your Mum flowers for putting up with the salesman/tramp you allowed into the house. At least I washed and stayed schtum about your trying to feel up my leg in the night.

matt of comooxdom said...

anneka,

It is not colourful up north. Where I live it is all a kind of grey. We've just got a colour television though - which helps with watching ready steady cook.

Becky Heineke said...

No, seriously, how does this happen? That is about the most random story I've ever heard. Your mom's a saint. Mine would have used foul language and he would have run off in horror. Like one time I had to go to a Scientology service for a school project and my mom came with me and we were sort of, uh, not invited to come back.

I have no idea why your stories prompt me to tell you these random, stupid things in return. Maybe I should cut off my comment privileges. But, as usual, highly entertaining episode from this end. :)

Anonymous said...

per your request: you've been reviwed!

Miffed67 said...

Well, there's 45 minutes you'll never get back! I'm LMAO, I cannot believe you get in to these situations!