Thursday, June 22, 2006

In Pop Nostalgia Today...

I just learnt that I've appeared on the same stage as The motherfucking Beatles! If you live in the North-West of England you most likely have a Beatle's story - my Dad beat John Lennon to shit in the school toilets once - I played drums for them for two weeks once - I wrote 'Hey Jude'.
Saying that, I haven't really grown up around The Beatles. Dad doesn't own any of their LPs because, as he sat me down and told me when I was younger, when he was growing up, in our town you were either a Beatles fan or a Rolling Stones fan and you NEVER divided your loyalty. Dad also claims that The Beatles were a band for the girls and very overrated. My Dad also thinks democracy is overrated so we'll move on quickly.

Anyway, my point is, I've never really 'got' The Beatles fascination - apart from the time I annoyed the fuck out of Anneka by playing We Can Work It Out over and over again in her car - that song makes me happy. I've gone off track again - despite not being a huge fan I was still excited to learn that I'd graced the same stage as them - Northwich Memorial Hall. Apparently they played there back in the 60's just as they became famous. They had booked months before and couldn't get out of it even though they tried (how rude - forgetting their roots already). I appeared on said stage in 2004 as a model in a fashion show, yeah, get me. There is a video of it knocking around somewhere. I just feel, I don't know, kind of cooler? I feel like now I have a really good point of interest if anyone brings up The Beatles at any future cocktail parties I plan on attending. Goes to show how powerful myth is...

Well, that's all. I have an exciting post to make, prehaps tomorrow, about my evening at the police station. See that, it's called building suspense so the readers come back for more - I'm a total writing pro. Tune in next week for tips on the technique of 'Foreshadowing'.

8 comments:

DKBB said...

Cool...6 (or 66) degrees of separation from the Beatles. ;)

Why am I not the least bit surprised by "I have an exciting post to make, prehaps tomorrow, about my evening at the police station," brit?!?!

Miffed67 said...

Thanks, brit! I am made marginally cooler through association with you! I feel special!

(as in - "rides the short bus" special - but still!

Nothing Really Matters said...

Well we all will be back for the police station report! I told you just the other day. Well lets hope they never found anything on that computer of yours!

matt of comooxdom said...

My brother once played tennis with chris Evans (ginger annoying dj for all people who don't know.)

I also slept with Angelina Jolie in her early days back in '92. I was 14. She was my first love.

Oh and I wrote 'hey jude'.

Anonymous said...

In an annual family holiday in North Wales - Florida was all booked up -, we had the choice of going to Liverpool or Dublin for the day. I lost the ballot 6-1 and we spent a miserable day in a Dublin museum because it was pissing down. When we could have spent a miserable day in the Beatles museum in Liverpool, trying to spot cast members of Hollyoaks.

My other Beatles related story is when my Dad went to get his original White Album valued at a record fair and started arguing with the EXPERT about how much it was worth. One of the many reasons I think I'm adopted.

britpopbaby said...

The Beatles museum is shit. You probably have more interesting things in your loft.

Becky Heineke said...

I am obsessed with the Beatles. If you ever said anything less than they were the greatest thing to hit music since sound, I might have to kill you. Ha ha. Just kidding. Oh, wait. Not really. I've seen Paul live three times and Ringo once (I was on the fourth row and we sang "Don't Pass Me By" to each other...I felt my whole existence validated in that a former Beatle had acknowledged me). I've been to Liverpool twice and sadly agree that the museum is shit. Why am I saying all this? Oh, yeah, I graduated high school at the MidSouth Colliseum, which is the spot of the Fab Four's one and only Memphis concert (August 1966) and felt a similar burst of pride realizing I was gracing sacred ground. Oh, and I've also done all the Beatles walking tours in London and carry a Beatles bag with me to work everyday and know all the words to all the Beatles songs and stuff but I'm going to shut up now because I'm probably making people uncomfortable. Cool story.

britpopbaby said...

You should make Anneka. She has a t-shirt.